Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama is a great way to make a difference in the life of a child. There are many ways you can get involved at The Club. Have you ever thought of coaching a sports team? Teaching a class like painting or jump rope? Are you detail oriented? We are always in need of help in the office. Are you outgoing and love people? You could be a Club ambassador. Learn about The Clubs and be a cheerleader in the community.
(1) Individual Volunteers
Volunteers working individually must complete a volunteer application
. Once the application is completed, volunteers must have a background check performed as well as attend an orientation session. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
We always need Tutors/Homework Helpers!
Every day after school Boys & Girls Clubs members ages 6-18 participate in Power Hour, our homework help and tutoring program, from 3:00pm until 6:00pm. We especially welcome and encourage volunteers who can work one-on-one with our members during Power Hour consistently.
Each of our nine Clubs run programs that are unique to the interests of their members, but some common programs we need volunteers' help with are:
- Guest Speakers
- Public Speaking Coaches
- Arts & Crafts
- Computer Lab
- Field Trip Chaperone
- Game Room
- Recreational Assistant
- Special Events
- Administrative Support
Please contact individual Clubs to find out what kinds of specific volunteer needs they have in each of the 7 program areas; Character & Leadership, Education & Careers, Health & Life Skills, The Arts, Sports Fitness and Recreation, Outdoor Environmental Education, Specialized programs.
(2) Corporate or other Group Volunteer Opportunities
Looking for a way to get your employees or co-workers involved?Click Here
to download a list of sample team-building projects.
Contact Michelle Hewitt, Resource Development and Communications Director at email@example.com
to set up a group volunteer event and please fill out the application form
Are you a student or a recent graduate looking for an opportunity to gain experience in youth development, special events planning, marketing, or other aspects of non-profit work? We have limited, unpaid internships available. Please fill out a work study /
internship application form
and contact Michelle Hewitt to discuss your interests: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Ways to Help
In-Kind Donations and Goods are always being accepted. See below a list of items our Clubs are currently in need of.
- Game Systems
- Chess Table
- Pool Table
- DVD Player
- White Board
- Blank T-shirts
- Art Supplies
- Be a Role Model: The mentor will be a role model for the member, demonstrating values of trust, dependability, and reliability.
- Be a Friend: The mentor will listen to the member, understand the obstacles the member perceives in school or life, and help him/her identify possible solutions.
- Assist with academic assignments.
- Set goals with the member.
- Build the relationship by planning and participating in program related activities together.
- Bulid self-esteem and motivation.
- A background check is required.
- Make a 1 week or 6 month commitment or 2-3 hours a week
- Be interested in working with young people
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments
- Be willing to communicate regularly with program staff, submit activity information, and take constructive feedback regarding mentoring activities
- Able to multitask
- Reliable & prompt
- Works well with others
- Takes pride in work
The satisfaction of enabling BGCCA members to empower themselves and reach new goals in addition to knowing that you've helped foster a stable relationship and support system for our club members. As a result, this contributes significantly to the club effectively achieveing its mission: to inspire and enable all youth to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens by providing stimulating and challenging programs through interaction with dedicated caring people.
Who We Cannot Work With
Please note that we do not allow volunteers completing court-ordered / recommended community service (no matter the offense) to work in our Clubs.
Also, all volunteers are background checked annually and if you have previously been convicted of any violent crimes, offenses related to drugs or crimes against a child, you are not eligible to volunteer for Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama.